Gretchen, Greta, Goodie, Mommy: Call me what you want!

Gretchen, Greta, Goodie, Mommy:  Call me what you want!

Friday, October 1, 2010



I am reminded this morning of how much I used to love good music and the effect it used to have on me! I think back to all the shows and concerts that I once attended and all the burnt live tapes YES TAPES that I had to have...that was a time that I lived carefree...without anxiety and worry. Was I making the best choices at that time in my life??? Probably not but I can't say that I live with much regret, just lessons learned and many good times and good memories! Dance sessions in the kitchen with my best friends, cruising the country roads, hanging out on dirt paths, laying on blankets beneath the stars just to catch a glimpse of the night sky, Laurel Mill, spot lighting, Dockside (which was always really bad music from a cover band, but a good time non the less) ...its fun to look back and a little bit scary! LOL!



In college I even tried to learn to play the fiddle. I loved its raw sound and was inspired when I got the opportunity to see an 93 year old Appalachian girl bring tears to my eyes with the sound that she created with just her and her instrument. I will never forget the way she first began to stomp out the beat with the wooden hill of her shoe and then almost magically because it was so natural and effortless she jammed out on the fiddle for like 30 minutes straight! Pure Appalachian music...old school! She had to have help on and off of the stage but once she was with her instrument she transformed into one of the most powerful musicians I have ever witnessed. I went home after that and begged my mom for money to buy my own fiddle and found one for $75 dollars from a hippie on the street. I took lessons for a short while...I still smile now just thinking of the way Chris used to look at me while I attempted to practice. I shortly gave it up b/c I was a typical college kid...lazy and social but Chris mysteriously dropped the couch on it and pretty much destroyed it! I guess I really was THAT BAD! I tried piano as a child, played flute in the band in middle school, but most of my teachers told mama that she was wasting her time and money...they said that I would much rather be on a ball field somewhere and at that time they were right on. Now I wish I had learned an instrument. I envy those who play! As athletic as I was and still am, I would rather Parker have interest in music something that you can connect with emotionally not to mention do forever! Chris' grandaddy Gupton was a singer, songwriter, guitarist who played in church and even had on old gospel record out so maybe Parker will take after his musical talent! BUCKET LIST ITEM #31: Learn to play an instrument...prob. piano...would love guitar, but I can even hold one correctly!

Well, I guess that will lead me up to 5 for Friday, so have a great weekend and enjoy!

1. Listen to music, all genres, some is meaningful, powerful, moving, while other stuff is dumb and meaningless but provides dancing opportunities late at night! Definitely serving a purpose! LOL!

2. Try something new that you have always wanted to try/do...one day we will be too old, sick, to be so lucky!

3. Teach your child to love music...right now Parker ask to hear rock and roll because he said that is what he and his Dad like! I love to watch him rock out in the back seat in the rear view!

4. Slow dance in your kitchen with your husband/wife, dance like a crazy person with your children, and booty dance with your friends whenever the mood strikes. If you don't know how do booty dance...go to a wedding reception after 10pm and observe! LOL!

5. Sing out loud, or at least until your child or whoever is with you tells you to stop. Parker will tell me mama, I don't like that song, please don't sing that song...I think it is my singing that he doesn't like but he is just being nice! Not everyone is an American Idol, but it feels good so do it anyway!

1 comment:

  1. i love music too - and one of the hardest things i will face raising kendal is the fact he is left handed! i do NOT know how to play anything backwards! i've been saving my [stringed] instruments all these years - and he LOVES music just like me - but i guess i'll have to get someone else to teach him.

    holly just likes to dance. which she's quite good at! :)

    ReplyDelete